Our Swing Series takes you from absolute beginner to well-rounded swing dancer. You’ll have a ton of fun along the way!
How they work:
- Start at Swing 1, work your way up. 🙂
- There are a few branching points along the way. If you’re the sort of person who enjoys a flowchart, you’re in luck! If you aren’t, you might want to avoid that last link.
- All of our classes are taught by two instructors, one for each role.
- One lesson per week, each lesson is an hour and a half long.
- Please sign up in advance because class sizes are limited.
- If you miss any lessons during a session, you can make them up in a later session of the same level. You paid for a full series, so you get a full series.
- After a series finishes, it will almost always be followed by the next level up. (ie If Swing 1 is at 5:30pm on Sundays, it will be followed by a Swing 2 at 5:30pm on Sundays.)
- No partner is necessary – it’s our job to make sure your series has a balanced role ratio. (We tend to get pretty similar quantities of both roles by default; swing dancing is appealing to most everybody!)
Swing 1 (six lessons)
- No experience needed – this is our beginner series, after all.
- This is the ideal class to learn to dance with anyone and adapt to new partners with ease. Having fun on the dance floor is the name of the game. You’ll learn a wide variety of moves, techniques, and fun tricks!
Swing 2 (six lessons, Lindy Hop or Charleston)
- Prerequisite: Swing 1 or instructor permission
- This is the first branching point mentioned above. We have a Swing 2 Lindy Hop as well as a Swing 2 Charleston. They usually alternate from one session to the next.
- Expand your repertoire of moves and learn more advanced techniques to give you options on the dance floor.
Swing 3 (six lessons)
- Prerequisite: Swing 2 Lindy Hop or instructor permission
- Add classic Lindy Hop to your swing repertoire! We’ll work on your basics, expand them with fun moves, and provide you with powerful techniques for leading and following. This is also where you’ll learn the Shim Sham and a bit of Balboa.
Swing 4 (four lessons, Lindy Hop, Charleston, Balboa, or Shag)
- Similar to Swing 2, this is another branching point in our curriculum, this time with even more dance styles.
- The options at this level are Lindy Hop, Balboa, Charleston, and Shag. Lindy Hop will tend to be every other session, with the other tracks taking turns in the alternate session.
- Prerequisite for Lindy Hop, Balboa, or Shag: Swing 3 or instructor permission
- Prerequisite for Charleston: Swing 2 Charleston or instructor permission
- Special note: If you’ve done one flavour of Swing 4, you get to apply our repeat discount on the other ones! It’s a buy one, get all your next ones $25 off deal. 🙂
- The Lindy Hop series supplies you with the techniques and styling to make your Lindy pop. Footwork variations, new ways to do swingouts, musicality… a Jedi craves these things.
- The Balboa track will really make your Bal slammin’. You’ll get new moves, upgrades to your technique, variations, and we’ll open your eyes to entirely new vistas of Balboaland.
- The Charleston track takes all the muppety goodness of Swing 2 Charleston and expands it into a whole new level of felt-bodied insanity.
Swing 5 (usually two lessons)
- Usually a two-lesson series that follows a session of Swing 4, but other formats happen periodically too.
- Prerequisite: Swing 4 or instructor permission
- Swing 5 is our continuous-learning, top-level class with a different topic every time. The content is always different, always fun, and provides you with an avenue to take your dancing as far as you want to go.
Prices & Discounts
Swing 1, 2, and 3
- Base price: $125
- Discounts: students save $20, repeating saves $40
- Base price: $85
- Discounts: students save $15, repeating saves $25
- Base price: $45
- Discounts: students save $10
If you’re all set to take some lessons, let us know you’re coming with our class registration page! Otherwise, if you need more info or have any questions, just get in touch with us and we’ll be happy to help you out. 🙂